Thursday, January 16, 2020

Various Hobbies



I know it's been awhile. I mean... I may or may not have forgotten, once again, that I have a blog and I'm supposed to post every so often. You won't get a solid statement out of me on that one so you'll all have to draw your own conclusions.

You may wonder if I'm still writing. Well, yes and no. Do I plan to finish my next novel? Yes. Have I worked on it recently? No. This is why it's just a hobby with me. When life gets busy it goes on the back burner. No pressure. I love that.

What I have been doing is trying to simplify my life. I've been looking into minimalism and zero waste. While I can't see myself becoming totally dedicated to either cause, there's a lot of good stuff there to help me out.

One thing that amused me was a youtuber who talked about not using canning jars just because they look minimalist, but to use stuff you already have. What I have is a ton of canning jars. I was given boxes of them, so now I can legit use as many as I want.

This idea of minimizing my stuff and wasting as little as possible has become quite a hobby of mine, and I have to say, I really enjoy owning less stuff. I especially like the first principle - refuse - as in, refuse to buy. Makes my life so much easier. Now my default is to think, 'Is there a way to not buy this?'. I'm surprised at how often the answer is yes. It challenges the creative thinking part of my brain which I love.

More hobbies (I have a bazillion) that I have are related to textiles, wool applique, embroidery, sewing etc. You would think I'm quite domestic but that would not be the case. I am creative. When it comes to practical skills I am lacking and each practical skill I learn is hard won.

The last hobby I'm going to mention today (yes, there are more) is gardening/yardwork. This is something I really enjoy and I love that it's never really finished. There's always something more to do, and planning can happen all year round.

I'm thinking to blog a bit more about these areas of interest of mine, which may become excruciatingly boring for everyone else, but at least I'll be entertained! Or maybe someone else shares my interests. One can only hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment